Size Diversity in
Employment Tool Kit
In 2008, NAAFA saw a need to raise awareness and to provide education and resources about size diversity to corporate America. This need motivated us to create a size diversity tool kit. In 2017, NAAFA updated this tool kit that adds an Executive Summary that makes a business case for size diversity in employment along with a HR Training Guide.
Our Objective: eradicate prejudice and discrimination in the workplace.
Here are the facts:
- Employees of size are not significantly less conscientious, less agreeable, less extraverted or less emotionally stable than other employees
(Michigan University and Hope College Study)
- Research has shown that many employers hold negative stereotypes about fat employees which contribute to discrimination in the workplace
(Rudd Report on weight bias)
- Fat employees can be fired or suspended because of their weight, despite good job performance (Rothblum et al)
The Executive Summary contains the following:
- Business Case for Size Diversity
- Increase Brand Loyalty and Reputation
- Increase the Bottom Line
The HR Training Guide contains the following:
- Why Size Diversity?
- What You Will Find in This Tool Kit
- Recognizing Your Size Bias
- Business Scenarios With Discussion Questions
- Accessibility and Accommodation
For a link to the Size Diversity in Employment to be sent to your employer, please send us a message with the name and email address of the appropriate contact by using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.